Although there are different opinions on how many carbohydrates are needed per day and which types of foods contain the best carbohydrates, from my research over the years, here is a list of what I feel are the best carbohydrates to eat for great health. Before I mention the list, some folks do very well on a very low carbohydrate diet (ketosis) and some folks do not. A lot depends on the health of your endocrine system, especially your adrenal glands. Another interesting point is that if you engage in anaerobic exercise, such as sprinting, intense cross fit or other quick and high intensity movements, your body has to be able to access energy from carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates provide good energy for the body and mind and carbohydrates help with brain focus, digestive health and hormonal health. Once you are in touch with your body and mind, you will know how many carbohydrates and which ones to eat on a daily basis.
What are the best carbohydrates to eat for great health.?
- Fresh vegetable juice: Use celery or cucumber as the base and add some carrots, beets, parsley, ginger root, etc. Fresh vegetable juice contains a lot of vitamins and minerals and it will provide for good energy levels and oxygen. Buy a good juicer and make your own juice.
- Fruit: Fruit is a fun food to eat and it contain a good amount of vitamins and minerals. Strive to eat fruit in season and buy fresh when possible. Frozen berries are acceptable. Eat fruit with some protein or fat to keep your blood sugar balanced.
- Raw Honey: Packed with enzymes and vitamins and minerals, raw honey is a super food, if eaten in small amounts. Eat anywhere from 1tsp to 2tbs a day. Raw honey aids in healthy digestion and a healthy immune system.
- Raw or lightly steamed or sautéed vegetables: salads, broccoli, kale, collards, etc. Drizzle with olive oil, pastured butter or coconut oil, add good sea or celtic salt and other spices. Vegetables are packed with vitamins and minerals and other phytonutrients.
- Potatoes: for when you need a starch, potatoes are great. They are much easier to digest than grains, beans or bread. Eat russet, yukon gold, red, sweet, etc. Add plenty of pastured butter or coconut oil and enjoy.